Dutch Government Delays Women's Health Funding

The Dutch government has confirmed that there will be no new additional funding for women's health until after 2030, state secretary Judith Tielen of the VVD said in a statement on April 3, 2019. Tielen said that for the time being, funding for women's health will come primarily from sources external to the cabinet. Many political parties criticized Tielen's statements, expressing their concern about the lack of funding and new initiatives to address women's health.

1 week Ago


Criticism of National Strategy and Funding
During a series of parliamentary debates on women's health last year, dozens of lawmakers criticized the National Strategy for Women's Health, charging it with providing almost no new initiatives and adding no new funding. Lisa Vliegenthart from GroenLinks-PvdA specifically accused Tielen of shirking her responsibilities as state secretary for women's health by passing some of the financial burden of improving women's health on to insurance companies and employers.

Tielen defended herself by stating that it is not realistic to expect the Ministry of Health to add to its budget by simply handing out additional allocations, and she lamented that future progress would therefore still be possible if research on women's health continued.

Sarah Dobbe, an SP Sample candidate, questioned Tielen's understanding of the severity of the problems.

None of the D66, VVD or CDA incoming coalition members expressed concern about future funding for women's health initiatives. Wieke Paulusma, a D66 member, acknowledged awareness.

Research into women's health has been sparse. In its recent press release, the Dutch government noted that while women generally live longer than men, they also do not enjoy as long a sufficient amount of time being healthy. The difference in longevity between women and men is historically due to the bias toward men in medical and pharmaceuti.

Copyright @ 2024 IBRA Digital